Wednesday, February 3, 2010

In the great green room...

...there was a telephone. And a red balloon. And a picture of...


I know this book by heart. Goodnight Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown. I have read it to you almost every night since you were born. Well, at least since you've been sleeping in your own room, which was around 6 months. I exaggerate.

The point is, I love reading it to you. Such a simple book, such a simple idea... saying goodnight to objects, to the air, the stars, to nobody. You love it too. (Isn't this a nice letter?)

Until recently. You're smart now, you're figuring things out. You know that Goodnight Moon means, BED TIME. Now, as you turn the pages - something you've done since you were very little - you turn them with such intensity, it's almost as if you're punching them. That's exactly it, you do not turn pages, you punch pages. It makes me giggle, which makes you shoot me a look of "this is not funny, MOM."

Oh well, it's still our special time, and our special book... even if you are trying to destroy it with your fists.

3 comments:

  1. I looooooove this book. One of my all time faves! They should update it though, to add "goodnight blackberry or iPhone". Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Siri! This is Diana's friend, Casey. She's told me all about you and I am OBSESSED with your blog! Read it all the time. I have a baby girl (Francesca) who is 5 mos and we live in SM (San Vicente and 20th). I am totally craving another mommy friend - this being home all the time with the baby alone thing blows! Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a power walk or something. I'd really love to meet you! Here is my info: cassandramarino@gmail.com or (310) 562-2504.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great book - definitely one of my all time faves, along with "The Giving Tree" and "Pat the Bunny" - do you have those? If not, you should. K, that's all the parenting advice I have to give. :)

    ReplyDelete