Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Quinoa for Baby

I'm already finding myself in ruts where I feed you the same meals every day. BAD MAMA! So yesterday I tried something new, quinoa! Pronounced "keen-wah." Not "quinn-oh-ah." But call it what you want, it's good. You have 5 teeth now with more on the way, you're MORE than capable of feeding yourself and you're almost 1! All bets are off. No more meat paste. Praise the lord!


Quinoa and Veggie Salad

1/2 cup quinoa
2 T olive oil
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped yellow squash
1/2 cup chopped butternut squash
crumbled feta cheese


Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in saucepan over medium high heat. Toss quinoa in olive oil for about 30 seconds.


Add vegetable stock and turn heat to high, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.


In the meantime, chop veggies into teeny, tiny pieces. I actually put the butternut squash in a Cuisinart to chop. It's difficult to get into teeny tiny pieces with a knife because of its tough texture, and because I'm lazy.


Once quinoa is done, remove from saucepan. To save dishes, I used the same one for the veggies. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute vegetables for 10-15 minutes. Taste to make sure they're cooked through. Obviously, if you're making this for a small child, you want them to be well done, almost over done.


When veggies are cooked, combine with quinoa, crumbled feta and stir!


I mentioned this on my other blog, but for adults... add 1 clove of garlic to sauteed vegetables, season with salt and pepper and top with toasted pine nuts. A healthy side dish or lunch for big people and mini people!

No comments:

Post a Comment